Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season with their family and friends. It has been a eventful few days for me down here. I had written before on a nice sunny day here and the next day we were scheduled to go to the airfield to cover the scheduled crew for their day off. Well I learned something new down here, when flights cancel and the Air National Guard fuel up the LC-130 with 30,000 lbs of fuel and turn them into the wind, it is time to leave and head for town. While at the air field on Thursday we got stuck for 4 hours in a Condition 1 storm which means you are stuck in the building, vehicle, tent or whatever you are in for shelter till the storm lets up. We got lucky and were stuck in the airfield galley during this time period. It was a little boring but we got to know each other on your team a lot better by telling stories about different experiences we have had. I will say it was amazing how quick the storm blew in and how quick the snow drifts built up. My pictures really don't show it very well. I do have a video from walking around in the storm that I will post later for everyone to enjoy.

I was also able to the LDB Balloon launch yesterday. My roommate Alyx toke some photos that hopefully will show better than mine on here. I am not sure if this was the real big balloon or the smaller of the two. 3 hours after launch you could still see it in the sky with your own eyes.

The Christmas holiday down here is a different time but everyone contributes in their own way to make it enjoyable. I found out first hand just how big my new "ice" family is. I became sick on Thursday night and missed out on much of the celebrations since I stayed in my room most of the time. I was glad to know that both my roommates and my friends down here cared about me as they stopped by to say hi and check up on me. For that I am truly grateful. I do wish that I could have enjoyed the festivities with everyone but I will just have to wait till next year.

Till next time.

Tim

P.S. I am going to "Happy Camper" tomorrow and will have a new post on Wednesday with photos and stories about it.

Some snow/ice crystal formations after the storm







The LDB Balloon after launch

LDB Balloon before launch

Playing out in the Con 1 Storm

Looking outside in a Con 1

Snow Drifts

1 comment:

  1. Before Xmas, there were so many people who have spent thousands for visit this place. Even i have also planning to enjoy Christmas there. But i didn't get tickets.

    ReplyDelete