Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Last week on nights!

So this is my final week on night and I only have to work 2 days this week. So I am somewhat glad to have an easy week ahead but I know that I will get bored so here is hoping the weather is nice so that I can enjoy sometime outside and do some hiking. I had today off as a comp day so I volunteered to work with a different department at the airfield called AGE (Aircraft Ground Equipment). It was nice to see a different side to the airfield operations of another crew to get a better understanding of what goes on here. I realized that I wouldn't mind working a little with AGE but for me I like the activity that Cargo gives me right now and in the future when I get older maybe the switch to age would be better for my body. Last week was the first week of airfield operations at the Pegasus airfield. To get to Pegasus you have to take a 14 mile long ice/snow road to get there. So far the quickest I have gotten there was 45 minutes and the longest has been over 1 hour 30 minutes. The road conditions have improved greatly in the past week but you still have to drive carefully and slowly to make sure you don't get stuck. So if you want an idea of what it is like to travel this road, pick the most boring sightless road you know that is 14 miles long and drive 5 miles and hour twice a day for 5 days than make sure the road is nice and bumpy to and that will give the idea. It has lead to some entertaining moments though seeing the shuttle vans drive through the snow, being inside a shuttle van plowing through the snow and watching cargo on the back of a Delta in the rear view mirror shaking around. I am glad that we are now on 1 week shifts at the airfield, driving and riding on that road will take physical toll on your body. I have a time lapse video of the drive out and back in that I hope to put up later this week when I finish editing it.

Till next time.

Tim
Some Adele Penguins a coworker saw.
Adele Penguins

In a loader behind a LC-130 pushing a sled for cargo download.

What happens when your equipment breaks down on the other side of the mountain. Took 2 tractors pulling the Delta back up the hill and our loader was suppose to be the break but the transmission went out so it is being pushed up the hill.

Loading the LC-130
Looking back from the plane at the loader with the sled.

A Tucker Snow-Cat inside a LC-130

Penguin Totes

The sun peaking through the clouds

Me inside a Delta

My coworkers Karl driving and Ray riding in the middle after a long shift and slow drive home

A loaded Delta
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Tim - I just finished reading your Dec. 13 blog - great pictures - very interesting comments from you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Daur (Denver, co)December 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

    Neat site Tim, keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete