Sunday, September 27, 2015

Antarctica in August!

I got the opportunity to come to Antarctica in August this year for what is called "Winfly" or Winter Fly In.  This is a time period of about 6 weeks were station population increases to prepare for everyone else to come in and work the summer season.  This is the earliest I have ever gotten here and it has given me an opportunity to see the continent in a different way.  I was scheduled to arrive on August 20th one day after the first sunrise, but I was delayed 3 days and got in on August 23.  When the plane landed and turned off the runway to its parking spot I was able to just see the sun above the horizon as it was setting at 2:00 in the afternoon.  By the time we got into town and out of our arrival brief it was dark out and stars were visible.  There were 2 flights scheduled the day I arrived, I was taking in the night sky and I saw the second flight coming in for a landing it was an amazing sight to see.  The day after we landed the weather changed and flights were cancelled for a week, so I was able to get settled in nicely.  This time of the year the weather is always changing, we have had a few good storms down here in the past month.  As I am writing this, we are expecting the first plane of the summer season sometime tomorrow afternoon.  So the nice and slow period we have had will be coming to an end and the next 4 months are gong to fly.  I hope to have good photos and stories to share this season with you all.  Enjoy the photos.

Tim

I did not take these photos.  We are having internet issues and I was only able to add these photos to this post.  Come back for more of mine in a few days.














No comments:

Post a Comment